From 1950-2012 there have been 54 confirmed tornadoes on Halloween Day.
Below are some quick facts about these extra-spooky tornadoes….
Halloween tornadoes by Fujita/Enhanced Fujita Scale:
- F/EF0: 22
- F/EF1: 17
- F/EF2: 11
- F/EF3: 3
- Unknown: 1
The top-5 states that have seen the most tornadoes on Halloween:
- Florida: 11
- Kansas: 11
- Texas: 10
- Oklahoma: 8
- Nebraska: 8
The year of the “greatest” Halloween tornado outbreak? 2000:
- 17 tornadoes across Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa. (Check out that classic trough!)
- 30% of all Halloween tornadoes from 1950-2012 occurred on the 31st in 2000, including several strong tornadoes.
- This was the last time there have been tornadoes on Halloween.
Is the Tampa, Florida area haunted by tornadoes on Halloween? Eight have occurred there on October 31 since 1950.
You may also like:
Latest posts by Kathryn Prociv (see all)
- Halloween tornadoes: The spooky historical facts - October 28, 2013
- From domestic to international: Tornadoes around the world - July 25, 2013
- U.S. tornadoes that occur outside the U.S. … the continental U.S. that is! - June 26, 2013
Tornado Talk2012 2013 Alabama April April 14 2012 Tornado Outbreak April 2011 Super Outbreak April Forecast April Tornadoes Arkansas August Tornadoes Chasecation 2013 Climatology December Tornadoes February Tornadoes February Tornado History Florida Georgia Holiday Tornadoes Illinois July Forecast July Tornadoes June Forecast June Tornadoes Kansas Louisiana March March Forecasts March Tornadoes May May Forecast May Tornadoes Mississippi Missouri October Tornadoes Oklahoma Recap Significant Tornadoes Texas Tornado Forecast Tornado Outbreak Tornado Outlook Tornado Statistics U.S. Tornadoes U.S. Tornado Map Violent Tornadoes